Software Developer - Linux
Department / Function: Product Development ~ Content Development
Location: Manchester, UK,
SG Gaming has an exciting opportunity for a Linux Developer to join the Engineering Support team in Chadderton, Manchester.
SG Gaming employs more than 550 people across three offices in the UK and is supported by its global gaming parent company, Nasdaq-listed Scientific Games, which employs 10,000 people in more than 50 countries on six continents. In return for their efforts, the Linux Developer shall receive a competitive salary and benefits and will be supported by their manager to grow their career within the company.
The main objectives of the role are as follows:
- To maintain/support a Linux HAL (user mode)
- To support, advise and where necessary, write code for our embedded products
- To liaise with customers of the HAL and provide them with investigative support, where required
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
This ideal candidate will be able to provide support to our SSBT customers, (internal and external), on our Linux HAL. This is a user mode application which communicates with various pieces of hardware on the terminal, (bill acceptor, barcode scanner, coupon scanner with voiding capability) and provides a simple API for web-based software processes to use (i.e. Chromium applications).
The dichotomy of fixed deadlines and the unspecified requires the Linux Developer to be flexible. They must be able to:
- Achieve an optimum balance between technical purity, product presentation and on-time delivery.
- Plan work and take responsibility for delivery; ensuring any risks, issues, resource needs or external co-ordination required for delivery are brought to the attention of the relevant people in a timely fashion.
- Provide implementation estimates and make best endeavours to meet them. This includes working outside normal contracted hours to meet product delivery and forms part of taking responsibility for delivering the project.
- Report progress and issues in writing when requested.
- Travel internationally when required.
- Extensively test product so that it enters the product assurance process with minimal defects.
- Adhere to in-house/project coding/design styles, tools and methodologies.
- Produce good quality, well-commented, re-usable designs/code/classes.
- Understand, acknowledge and produce solutions that satisfy the commercial requirements of the company.
- Highlight areas where the design, architecture and procedures can be improved and if required implement these changes.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Linux (ideally Ubuntu)
- Solid C/C++ experience
- A range of hardware device protocol experience (USB/RS232/RS485)
- Solid Win32 API
- Solid Multi-threaded application development
- Windows sockets (winsock) experience OR interfacing to hardware through low-level protocols such as RS232
- Embedded software development on an applicable platform
- Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or other related discipline
- Significant professional experience covering full development life-cycle
You will receive first class training, support and career development opportunities along with a very competitive salary and additional benefits such as:
- Company bonus
- 25 days holiday
- Life assurance
- Contribution based pension scheme
Title search: Linux, HAL, Ubuntu, Embedded, Platform Engineer/Software Engineer/Software Developer/ Solution Architect/Software Architect/C/C++/USB/RS232/Win32 API/winsock