Senior Software Engineer
Department / Function: Product Development ~ Software Engineers
Location: Manchester (working hydrid)
Light & Wonder (formerly SG Gaming) has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Research and Development team in Manchester. Working in an experienced software team, the role is to develop platform software for the UK and International markets.
This role would suit someone who enjoys being part of a busy and exciting development team, solving problems and has a flexible and results driven attitude towards their work. The successful candidate will be strong in C++, with good C# experience. It would suit an experience developer looking to progress their career.
Some of our benefits include:
- Competitive salary and performance bonus
- 5% employer pension contributions
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 33 days' holiday (inc. Bank Holidays)
- Paid leave to work on charitable projects
- Access to Reward Hub, a reward platform offering shopping and lifestyle discounts/cashback
- Training, support and career development
- Cycle to work scheme
We're currently working from Chadderton, Oldham but will move to a new premises at XYZ Building, Spinningfields in Central Manchester later this year. More information about the building can be found here (The XYZ Building - Spinningfields (spinningfieldsonline.com). We will be located a short walk from Oxford Rd/Victoria & Piccadilly train station (s) and tram stops such as Deansgate/Castlefield and St Peter's Square. We'll offer a hybrid working pattern between the office and home and different ways to work flexibly so please feel free to talk about what flexibility means to you at your interview.
Main Role Responsibilities:
- Develop good quality software, on time and in accordance with the design and standards defined by the solution architects.
- Understand, acknowledge and produce software that satisfies the agreed design.
- Perform reasonable functional tests on completed code, document tests performed; ensuring it enters the product assurance process with minimal defects.
- Peer code review software written by other R&D engineers, and provide written and verbal constructive criticism.
- Highlight areas where the design and procedures can be improved and if required implement these changes
- Provide R&D management with regular feedback on progress and issues, in writing and verbally in project review meetings.
Experience, Skills and qualifications required:
- Professional experience covering full software development life cycle
- Extensive experience of C/C++ development
- Good experience of C# development
- Good understanding of source code control tools such as Git, SubVersion and Perforce
- Good understanding of multi-threaded application development
- Good understanding of client/server architecture
- Good understanding Win32 API
Additional experience that would be advantageous:
- Experience of Windows sockets
- Experience of developing and using event based systems
Be prepared to:
- Plan work and take responsibility for delivery; ensuring any risks, issues, resource needs or external co-ordination required for delivery are brought to the attention of the relevant people in a timely fashion
- Be flexible to deal with the dichotomy of fixed deadlines and unexpected changes or issues occurring as natural process of software development
- Achieve an optimum balance between technical purity, product presentation and on-time delivery
- Adhere to in-house/project coding/design styles, tools and methodologies
- Effectively argue their corner whilst maintaining team unity
- Understand the constraints and deadlines other team members are working to
- Go the extra mile, when required either by the R&D Management, or to achieve commercially important deadlines
- Travel internationally when required to do so by the R&D Management
- Contribute on various projects as dictated by R&D Management
- Contribute to support documentation to assist users
- Assist in debugging and help in analysing crash dumps and logs
- Abide by and deliver team decisions
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or other related discipline.
- Or relevant, demonstrable experience (personal portfolio/work acceptable)