Advanced Software Engineer
Department / Function: Product Development ~ Software Engineers
Hours: 38.75 hours per week
SG Gaming has an exciting opportunity for an Advanced Software Engineer to join the Research and Development team in Manchester. Working in an experienced software team, the role is to develop platform software for the UK and International markets.
This role would suit someone who enjoys being part of a busy and exciting development team, solving problems and has a flexible and results driven attitude towards their work. The successful candidate will be strong in C++, with good C# experience. It would suit an experienced senior developer looking to progress their career.
Working as part of the R&D Team developing, enhancing and maintaining platform software and services to host or support applications, on a variety of hardware. The nature of the supported applications, are largely transparent from the platform, and could include a wide range of functionality, such as self-service betting or ticket redemption kiosks, or gambling games such as slot, card based (Blackjack, Poker) or table games (Roulette, Baccarat, Craps).
Main Role Responsibilities
- Develop good quality software, on time and in accordance with the design and standards defined by the solution architects.
- Understand, acknowledge and produce software that satisfies the agreed design.
- Perform reasonable functional tests on completed code, document tests performed; ensuring it enters the product assurance process with minimal defects.
- Peer code review software written by other R&D engineers, and provide written and verbal constructive criticism.
- Highlight areas where the design and procedures can be improved and if required implement these changes
- Provide R&D management with regular feedback on progress and issues, in writing and verbally in project review meetings.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications required
You must have:
- Professional experience covering full software development life cycle.
- Extensive experience of C/C++ development.
- Good experience of C# development.
- Good understanding of source code control tools such as Git, SubVersion and Perforce.
- Good understanding of multi-threaded application development.
- Good understanding of client/server architecture.
- Good understanding Win32 API.
Additional experience that would be advantageous:
- Experience of Windows sockets.
- Experience of developing and using event based systems.
- Plan work and take responsibility for delivery; ensuring any risks, issues, resource needs or external co-ordination required for delivery are brought to the attention of the relevant people in a timely fashion.
- Be flexible to deal with the dichotomy of fixed deadlines and unexpected changes or issues occurring as natural process of software development.
- Achieve an optimum balance between technical purity, product presentation and on-time delivery.
- Adhere to in-house/project coding/design styles, tools and methodologies.
- Effectively argue their corner whilst maintaining team unity.
- Understand the constraints and deadlines other team members are working to.
- Go the extra mile, when required either by the R&D Management, or to achieve commercially important deadlines.
- Travel internationally when required to do so by the R&D Management.
- Contribute on various projects as dictated by R&D Management.
- Contribute to support documentation to assist users.
- Assist in debugging and help in analysing crash dumps and logs.
- Abide by and deliver team decisions.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or other related discipline.
SG Gaming employs more than 550 people across three offices in the UK and is supported by its global gaming parent company, Nasdaq-listed Scientific Games, which employs 10,000 people in more than 50 countries on six continents. In return for their efforts, the R&D Advanced Software Engineer shall receive training on SGG products, along with a competitive salary and benefits and will be supported by their manager to grow their career within the company.