Department / Function: Technology ~ Network Operations Centre
A Network Engineer is required to assist with the planning, evaluation and management of existing complex wide-area networks and the deployment and implementation of new network territories and services for the EMEA organisation. The candidate will be a member of the organisation’s network team within the IT department, which has responsibility for managing the operations of all internal and customer facing IT systems and infrastructure.
The candidate must be able to manage a number of diverse technical environments, interoperate successfully with customers and business vendors and provide recommendations necessary to maintain or expand the technical network environments. The candidate shall be able to provide skilled technical assistance in network planning, engineering and architecture.
The position is a technical, hands-on role in which the candidate will be able to implement solutions and support system level issues through to resolution. The applicant will spend a considerable portion of their time supporting various network services and technologies. These include MPLS, Cable DSL, ADSL, Metro-Ethernet, SDH as well as a clear understanding of routing protocols and VPN services.
The role will also involve exposure to customers and their environments. The candidate must be a clear and concise communicator and be at ease relaying technical and operational information in formal and informal settings.
It is expected that a significant amount of travel will be involved in carrying out these duties. Mainly consisting of UK and European travel and occupying up to 20% of the engineer’s time.
The candidate should be certified CCNA or CCNA Voice and IT degree or equivalent is required.
Desirable CCNP or CCNP Voice or CCSA NGX
Job Requirements & Responsibilities
- Manage multi-site enterprise networks.
- Manage and maintain technical relationships with customers and work closely with their technical resources.
- Report to the Network Manager.
- Create and maintain logical and rational network IT environments.
- Support field infrastructure and work to deliver client agreed work packages and objectives.
- Work closely with development processes and procedures to monitor, diagnose and solve critical network challenges in the field.
- Be responsible for maintaining stability of network communications, and analysing and solving network outages, or routing issues.
- Document network infrastructure and maintenance, strategy and methodology reports, guides and diagrams for dissemination to an internal and external audience.
- Define, collect, and publish network operations metrics and service level reports.
- Provide clear communication to all stakeholders, both technical and professional, and liaise directly with the international team, service operations, software development and internal IT teams.
- Must be willing to travel in the UK and internationally, as required.
- System and network monitoring experience required.
- Client facing experience required.
- Hands-on knowledge of configuring and maintaining Cisco routers and switches.
- Experience with cellular and wireless communications (GPRS/EDGE 3G, 802.11x) required.
- ADSL and DSL experience required.
- Metro-Ethernet experience required.
- Good analytical problem-determination and resolution skills required.
- Project participation.
- New technology awareness, research and system integration.
- Software and hardware installation, configuration, integration and support.
- MPLS configuration knowledge desirable.
- Cisco ASA, Check Point, Juniper and HP experience desirable.
- Cisco Call Manager experience would be desirable.
- Security: ASA, Checkpoint NGX firewall on Nokia Platforms, Cisco VPN, IPSEC, SSH, AAA, RADIUS, Tacacs, IDS, ACS server, IKE, ISAKMP, L2TP, PPTP, AH, ESP, TLS
- LAN: Ethernet, Vlan, voice vlans, STP, PVST, MST, ISL, 802.1q, VTP, CGMP, wifi, 802.11 a/b/g/n , Cisco Aeronet, PoE, using sniffer, Rspan and knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory
- TCP/IP: ARP, DHCP, DNS, IGMP, PIM, RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, HSRP, VRRP, NAT, NTP, SMTP, HTTPS, SNMP, TFTP, FTP
- QoS: ToS, CoS, DCSP and MQC
- WAN: PPP, SHDS, ETHERFLOW, HDLC, MPLS/VPN, Wi-MAX, ISDN, Xdsl, PPPoe, PPPoa.
- Routers & Switches: Cisco 800, 1800, 2600, 2800, 4940 series, 3750 series, 3560 series, 2960 series, 500 series.
- Wireless: WLC and 1200 series AP
- PIX/ASA - Checkpoint: PIX 5515E, ASA 5505 - 5585 and Checkpoint R65.